birding-aus

Brisbane Trip

To: <>
Subject: Brisbane Trip
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 20:26:03 +1000
Hi all

Thank you to all those who sent me info for my recent trip to Brisbane. I went from the airport to Wynnum to the mangrove board walk. After walking nearly the entire length of it without seeing more than Sacred Ibis and Torresian Crows, I finally came across a Collared Kingfisher ( new bird for me ) sitting on a branch. I watched it for a while then it flew off to join a mate. Right at the end of the board walk I observed another one feeding on the mud flats. A few Whimbrel & Gull billed Terns as well as White-faced Herons  and Great Egrets were feeding on or above the mud flats. A White-bellied Sea-Eagle soared overhead. I walked back via the bush track which had plenty of seeding grasses which had attracted a flock of Chestnut-breasted Mannikins and some Brown Quail. Also seen were Golden headed Cisticolas and Red-backed Fairywrens. I spent an hour here and then went on to spend half an hour at Thorneside looking unsuccessfully for Mangrove Honeyeater, ( plenty of Brown Honeyeaters ) but did see a Koala snoozing fairly low down.

A quick 10 minute walk at Sherwood Arboretum completed my birding.  Little Friarbirds were nice to see here as we don't get them at home. A pair of White-breasted Woodswallows put on a nice display and a couple of Striated Pardalotes showed nicely as well. Pale-headed Rosellas provided a change from our common Eastern Rosellas at home. Overnighting with family it was then off to the Gold Coast for 5 days of golf. Report to follow on birds seen on the golf courses without the aid of binoculars and with my main focus being on looking for my ball not birds ! I would have liked a scope and time to spend around Hope Island to hunt out Little Bitterns or Painted Snipe, as the habitat looked excellent.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin
DUNGOG NSW