birding-aus

Migration of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters

To: <>
Subject: Migration of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:56:07 +1000
Hi Birders,
The migration of Yellow-faced Honeyeaters got underway on the Central Coast of NSW on 1 April 2003 when small numbers were seen in all my Spotted Gum, Scribbly Gum and Bloodwood Woodland sites within Wyong Shires. In some of the 20 minute survey sites, up to 22 birds have been counted in the 20 minutes of my 2 ha surveys. The birds at this stage are feeding in flowering Red Bloodwood Corymbia gummifera and in a few scattered flowering Spotted Gum C. maculata. As yet I have not seen them feeding on the nectar of Banksia oblongifolia and Lambertia formosa, both of which are also in flower on my survey sites. Some White-naped Honeayters and Silvereyes, Spotted and Striated Pardalotes appear to be part of the movement.

However elsewhere on the Coast, there is much flowering of Red Bloodwood and Blackbutt Eucalytpus piluraris, and large numbers of Little Lorikeets and Musk Lorikeets are utilising these trees.Now the Swamp Mahogany E. robustus has just commenced flowering so that there should be many nectar resources for the small honeyaters, and the Swift Parrots and Regent Honeyeaters if they decide to come. Much of the Banksia ericifolia heaths have been burnt in the recent bushfires so that resource will not be available this season although I believe  that more Bloodwoods & Blackbutts are flowering this year compared to last year, and the Forest Red Gum E. teriticornis & Swamp Mahogany all look to be heavily in bud indicating a good year for them too.

We look forward to getting some of those Victorian Swift Parrots.

Alan Morris
Central Coast group, Birding NSW