birding-aus

Recent observations - Violet Town

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Recent observations - Violet Town
From: Barry McLean <>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 03 14:29:23 +1000
Hi All,

The last day we heard Bee-eaters was 28th Feb.

Our Superb Fairy Wrens have all been 'grey' since early March.  There
appeared to be an increase in the number of coloured males just before
they began to moult; do juveniles colour late in the season?

Pied Currawong were here all year but their numbers increased markedly
also in early March (12th) and a large mixed flock of about 40 Red
Wattlebirds and Noisy Friarbirds arrived and stayed for about two weeks
leaving only a few wattlebirds still with us.

We saw our first Scarlet Robin, a male, on 21st March; then a female on
25th, a male on 26th, a female on 6th Apr, a male on  7th and another
male today.  So far no Flames have been seen this year but we see Yellow
Robins occasionally and we saw our first Red-capped Robin for the
property (we have lived here for 14 months) from 24-26th March.

Not sure when the Yellow-faced Honeyeaters left but it was after March
15. Our few  New Hollands became a mob with an influx in early March and
the White-plumes are always around.  The Brown-headeds are usually seen
daily but only when they visit the birdbath; they have not been seen this
month.  White-naped have been seen on 20th and 26th March and 6th April
and White-eared, only seen a few times last year, on 25th March and 7th
April.  Eastern Spinebill, probably only two birds, was first seen on 3rd
Feb but has been around pretty often in March and April

The first Southern Whiteface appeared  7th April and Goldfinch returned
on 1st April after an absence of about 7 weeks.  The Crested Shrike-tit
appear only accasionally but more often in Autumn than at other times.

I'm tired of writing so you are probably tired of reading.

Bye for now.

         Barry & Roberta McLean
         03 57981213
         0418 584433