birding-aus

Geelong Birds

Subject: Geelong Birds
From: (Russell Woodford)
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 15:07:11 +1000
A couple of unusual records -

Song Thrush - these are resident in the older suburbs of Geelong (e.g. Newtown)
and I've seen one once at Lara to the north.  The first thing I saw amongst my
rose bushes in the backyard this morning was a Song Thrush - as far as I know
the 2nd ever record for the Geelon Grammar campus, which extends for about a km
along the northern shore of Corio Bay.

Crested Pigeons really seem to have settled in to this area now.  There are
always a pair near our house, and a party of 6 birds has been recorded around
the campus throughout the summer.  There were a group of 5 birds near home
yesterday and today - two birds were smaller than the others. Slightly smaller
crest and duller plumage suggests they might be juveniles.  I wonder if they
have bred here?  My guess is that CPig will be a common bird on the west side
of Port Philip within 3 or 4 years.

Rufous Fantail  -ANOTHER fantail was in the backyard early last week, the 2nd
for the autumn.

Russell Woodford
Geelong