birding-aus

Re: GPS navigation units

To: (ERROR) :,
Subject: Re: GPS navigation units
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 17:23:09 +0930
The 2 AA batteries in my Magellan GPS 300 had been flat for over 3 months,
probably a lot longer. Yesterday I replaced the batteries & tried the GPS
300 under a clear sky and after about 7 minutes it had not picked up even
one satellite, so I assumed the internal battery was flat. It listed the
date as 20 Mar-02 (maybe when the battery/s went flat?). Anyway, this
morning I decided to have another go. I left it turned on and after 20
minutes it was working perfectly (it took somewhere between 1 & 20 minutes
to start tracking)..... so it looks like it takes a "dead" GPS 300 unit a
while to sort itself out. Does anyone know how long an internal battery
normally lasts without a power supply please - it appears at least 3 months
in my case - but this is not consistent with what Paul reported?
Bob Sothman
Adelaide