birding-aus

Cumberland SF - 30 March

To: <>
Subject: Cumberland SF - 30 March
From: "Tom Wilson" <>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 14:54:30 +1000
All
managed a morning out with the family in glorious weather today to
Cumberland State Forest in Sydney's NW.  Not too damp underfoot after last
night's rain.  Mostly saw what I expected to see, with the Musk Lorikeets
very active and noisy this morning, plenty of Brown Gerygones, Brown
Thornbills and White Browed Scrubwrens in evidence and the Bell Miners up
near the front gate tinkling away.  Trips with the family mean that
intensive birding activity is always somewhat constrained, but some items of
note:
1/ Saw a female Rose Robin in the cleared area behind the supplementary car
park;
2/ At intervals a large raptor kept putting in appearances and giving the
Noisy Miners the willies.  Typicaly, every time it did put in an appearance,
I was under the tree canopy so I did not get a great sighting, but it looked
very pale from underneath with no dark markings at all, so I had it down as
a possible Grey Goshawk.
3/ Several pairs of King Parrots busy inspecting various holes in the trees.

2 Tawny Frogmouths were seen by another observer on the Palm Grove Track.

Cheers
Tom Wilson