birding-aus

Double Whammy in the spotlight, Atherton Tableland

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Double Whammy in the spotlight, Atherton Tableland
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 2003 19:13:01 +1000
Hi All,

Last year I posted that the Spectacled Flying Foxes had not turned up in their usual trees as the figs had not fruited because of the drought.

At the moment they are around Yungaburra, feeding on the Mulberry-leaved Stinging Tree and starting in on the White Cedars. Last night we had a Rufous Owl and a Lumholtz's Tree-kangaroo in the same spotlight beam. Both stayed longer than we did so we had fantastic views of each of them. The owl was close but the tree-roo was very high though in the open.

Other owls heard were Lesser Sooty and Boobook (the later not as common as Barking around here).

Other mammals seen included Coppery Brushtails, Green Ringtails, two Queensland Tube-nosed Bats, Eastern Horseshoe Bat and various small bats which I cannot identify on the wing.

Only reptile; three Leaf-tailed Geckos. One of these was huge and easily seen but one was so difficult to see once it had shut its eyes that some of my guests just could not make it out. Their camouflage is excellent.

Many invertebrates but the highlights were large female White-kneed Cricket, fire flies and a big black wingless cockroach.

Today TREAT, our local tree planting group put in almost
5 000 trees in our sixth and penultimate large public planting of the year.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
On the beautiful Atherton Tablelands