birding-aus

Spotlighting in Copeland State Forest, NSW

To: <>
Subject: Spotlighting in Copeland State Forest, NSW
From: "Penelope Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 11:50:30 +1100
Dear all

Last night went with my newly discovered local environment group spotlighting at what is about to be or is already Copeland Nature Reserve/National Park, n/w of Gloucester, NSW. We drove up the track from the Gold Mine Car Park standing on the back of a ute - and then walked down to the creek from where the track branches, looking for frogs. Saw 1 Mountain Brushtail Possum.
At the creek heard Stuttering Frogs Mixophyes balbus and one was caught - others heard. Saw 1 Bush Rat - how can such a small mammal make such a lot of noise in the undergrowth - people thought it was a 'roo at least.

Back at the ute, a Lesueur's Frog Litoria lesueuri was caught - beautifully marked and with amazingly long hind legs.

Back on the ute and up the old logging track. Another Mountain Brushtail (and heard one more later), 9 Greater Gliders and 1 Potoroo. Then we stopped and our guide played owl calls (not expecting to have a reaction) as most people had never heard these - Powerful, Sooty and Masked. Owlet Nightjars and a Tawny Frogmouth were heard.

A bit further up the track (about 3 quarters to the top) we heard a Sooty Owl calling right overhead - maybe responding to the taped calls - making the rasping noise, not the falling bomb. Stopped and right at the top of a very tall gum was a Sooty Owl. Another was heard the other side of the gulley.

After this great excitement we carried on towards the top but almost immediately spotted a Boobook, with another calling from further up the track.

Leaving the car park we saw 1 Pademelon on the road. A great spotlighting event!