birding-aus

Cruise from New Zealand to Macquarie Island

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cruise from New Zealand to Macquarie Island
From: "Gil Langfield" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 20:52:23 +1100
I have just returned from a 10-day cruise organised by Heritage Expeditions
of Christchurch, New Zealand to Macquarie Island via some of the NZ
sub-antarctic islands.  We saw most of the expected bird species including 7
penguins (the Snares Crested from a little too far away), 6 albatross under
the old taxonomy and assorted petrels, shearwaters and prions as well as
Antarctic Tern, 4 shags, Subantarctic Snipe and Auckland Island Flightless
Teal.  We also had the first record of a Silver Gull at Macquarie Island,
according to Rohan Clarke (of 740+ Oz species fame) who guided us on the
Island where he is stationed.  The cruise was very well organised and
executed and I recommend it to anybody who wants to see sub-antarctic
species and who can get over the initial shock of the price.  I can provide
more details to anyone who contacts me directly.

Incidentally, I bought in Dunedin a new second edition (2000) of Stuart
Chambers "Birds of New Zealand - Locality Guide".  The first edition (1989)
has been out of print for some years.

Gil Langfield
Melbourne, Australia