birding-aus

King Penguin & other Tassie news.

To: "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: King Penguin & other Tassie news.
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 17:15:48 -0000

The King Penguin at Fortescue Bay, Tasmania was removed from there just prior to the long weekend and taken to Hobart! We're told it will be placed on a remote beach accessible only by boat! The bird was in a dog-free Nat. Pk, was moulting normally and indifferent to people nearby. There was no need for the trauma sustained in being caught. Chris Lester & I were two of the lucky ones to see it before it was removed but some made a fruitless journey.

Also managed to see a Wood Sandpiper (very rare in Tassie) and a Pectoral Sandpiper (apparently regular) at Rostrevor Lagoon, Triabunna. These had been there for a 'couple of months'. Bill Wakefield put us on to these.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930
Ph:  (03) 9787 7136