birding-aus

RFI: Artificial trees in wetlands?

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: RFI: Artificial trees in wetlands?
From: "Mike Carter" <>
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 22:20:12 -0000
The importation of large, dead, but not artificial, trees and erecting them
on re-established or new wetlands is a common and widespread practice SE of
Melbourne and has been for many years. There is one clump on the Edithvale
Wetlands which have been there for 15-20 years. I think these were dropped
into a large 'posthole' and the ground consolidated around them, but on some
occasions concrete is used. They are particularly common on private
wetlands. There are numerous examples on the Waterways Estate on Springvale
Road near Braeside, where some trees have holes large enough for Galahs to
prospect or use as nesting sites and perhaps even Wood Ducks. They make good
roosting spots for raptors and cormorants. I think they are valued as much
for their aesthetic appeal as there environmental advantage. I believe Red
Gums are favoured and wetland contractors will pay over $2,000.00 to
purchase a 'tree'.

Mike Carter
30 Canadian Bay Road
Mt Eliza    VIC     3930