birding-aus

"Birds" - a note of caution - re: Mimicry

Subject: "Birds" - a note of caution - re: Mimicry
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 16:04:13 -0800 (PST)

G'day Chris,

To add to the words of David Geering, could I also say that Australia is blessed with many wild birds that can, and do mimic. Another David, but this one from Chichester, England, re~lie~ably informs me that when white man first landed here in Oz. He wandered into the deep dark rainforrest calling out "Hello, Coo-eee" hearing only his echo coming back.

On day two when he travelled some more he again called out "Hello, Coo-eee" but this time he heard the reply come back "White with two eh?" spoken in English by a female Australasian White backed magpie, to her mate. Sadly this can not be confirmed but we true blue Oz believe it's more then a miff. We think it's more then pawsible then the England cricket scores. Lucks a fortune eh?

Have a good day, JAG de Whag

P.S. WARNING it's raining here in Oz.

wrote:

Chris wondered about the "Attenborough lyrebird" imitating all manner of inanimate sounds.

This was a captive bird at Healesville Sanctuary in Victoria. This bird was apparently well known for picking up all manner of frequently heard noises such as the motor drive of cameras.

David

Do you Yahoo!?