birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Report.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Report.
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 21:04:05 +1100

After two delightful  weeks at Point Lonsdale it was good to return home to the Treatment Plant.

Our first visit was a real shock; the Borrow Pits and the Conservation Lagoons were almost dry, and there was very little water in the T section Murtcaim Summer Lagoons.  Fortunately while we were in the Bird Hide when one of the engineers came by so we were able to discuss the lack of water with him.  The drought is really biting!

Since then we have had some rain and today the birding was great.  There is now water in all the above areas.

We were able to add the Black Kite to the list.  Thousands of Red-necked stints were at the T section Lagoons and plenty of Curlew sandpipers many showing signs of breeding plumage. Red-necked avocet & Banded Stilts were in the ponds too.

The Golden Plover were in the grass at Kirk Point, Crested  and Whiskered Tern  + Pacific Gull were on the rocks .

Still plenty of Freckled Duck on Lake Borrie.

Met a fellow who he said he had seen a Northern  Pintail on Lake Borrie!

There were 5 Crested Grebe on Little River. Both Royal & Yellow Spoon bills, plenty of cormorants and swans too.  There were a few Green shanks   on Little River.  Thousands of Pink-eared Duck and plenty of all the other duck species, Musk Duck with very large pouches too.  Only saw a couple of Sharp-tail Sandpipers.

An excellent morning birding.

Shirley Cameron

Werribee