birding-aus

Birding NSW Outing to Lower Hunter Estaury 15 February 2003

To: <>
Subject: Birding NSW Outing to Lower Hunter Estaury 15 February 2003
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 08:44:20 +1100

Lower Hunter Estuary Outing Report for Birding NSW. Saturday 15 February 2003

Leader: Alan Morris.

16 members met at the Shortlands Wetland Centre, the new addition to the Kooragang RAMSAR Site, for a day of seeing the waders and waterbirds of the lower Hunter Estuary. We departed immediately for the newly upgraded Stockton Sandspit High Tide roost as it was high tide and there we were rewarded with a great sight. There were 3000+ Red-necked Avocets roosting at the spit, along with c. 800 Bar-tailed Godwits, 150 Black-tailed Godwits, c.300 Black-winged Stilts, 450 Eastern Curlews and smaller numbers of Great Knots, Red Knots, Curlew and Sharp-tailed Sandpipers, Red-necked Stints and Red-capped Plovers, plus other waterbirds! Great viewing and great work by HBOC & NPWS in upgrading the Spit for the waders! We checked out the Stockton wreck and saw 6 Grey-tailed Tattlers and other gulls and terns. We returned to Shortland WC for morning tea and spent the next two hours checking out the birds there. Due to the drought most of the ponds were dry, but we were still able to see Shovelers, a lone Marsh Sandpiper, Latham’s Snipe, the  obligatory Magpie-Geese, plenty of Black-fronted Plovers, some Cattle Egrets were still nesting, although most nesting of egrets was completed. Amongst the bushbirds were Olive-backed Orioles, Dollarbirds, Scarlet Honeyeaters and a Rufous Whistler. White-beilled Sea-eagles and Swamp Harriers were seen over the ponds.

It was a very hot day so we all partook of the culinary delights of the Café Jacana (and its air-conditioning) at the Centre for lunch before heading off to Ash Island ponds where we finished the day. We were all hoping for the sight of Yellow Wagtails on Wagtail Way and we were not disappointed although only one could be found (although 4 were seen by Edwin Vella earlier that morning)! A new bird for many people there! Birding was great with c. 1500 Sharp-tails, 100+ Marsh Sandpipers, 30+ Greenshanks, and large numbers of Black-winged Stilts, Avocets, Grey & Chestnut Teal, herons, egrets and Ibis, all close by and easy to see! Again there were Sea-eagles and Marsh Harriers and a Black-shouldered Kite.  63 species seen for the day.

Alan Morris,

Records Officer, Birding NSW