birding-aus

RFI: Common Myna distribution, SEQ

To: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Subject: RFI: Common Myna distribution, SEQ
From: "Birding Services Brisbane" <>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:46:07 +1000
Hi Lawrie

There are very few Common Mynas in the Sunshine Coast area - at least not
yet!!  They are making inroads however moving slowly from the south.
Generally they are not common across Brisbane but their numbers are
increasing each year and they spread further afield. In Atlas 1 they were
only found in a relatively small part of the Darling Downs centred on Oakey.
Atlas 2 tells a very different picture and illustrates how they have spread.

There has been a concerted effort to try to get something done in the
Sunshine Coast area before they become well established there.  All local
authorities in SE Q'ld have unanimously (through SEQROC, their regional
organisation) asked the State Government to declare the Common Myna a pest
species.  So the ball is in the Governments court at the moment.

We eagerly await an outcome.

In my area (just north of the city centre) they are increasing dramatically
each year.

Cheers

Roy Sonnenburg
Consulting Ornithologist