birding-aus

Lake Karrinyup Golf & Birds

Subject: Lake Karrinyup Golf & Birds
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:27:52 +0800
Hi Everyone,

I hope this message gets thru to you all ok. Some notes on Lake Karrinyup
Golf Course (yep - where the Johnnie Walker was hosted) for those
interested:

Lake Karrinyup is probably Perth's premium golf course, so I don't know how
they'd go about birdos walking around the fairways with binos and scopes!
However, it is situated along the path of lakes that runs from the Swan
River to Yanchup and right next door is Lake Gwelup and Gwelup bushland
reserve. There are also a couple of lakes situated on the course, but these
are quite well manicured. Singing Honeyeaters are a dime a dozen in Perth
and are found just about everywhere, as for the Little Crow that was
supposedly heard - you've got me stumped!! The Australian Raven is also
very common around Perth, and large flocks inhabit areas around Karrinyup,
Carine and Duncraig largely due to the attraction of rubbish bins and
scraps left around the schools of the area. But a Little Crow, well we
probably do get them occasionally in the metro area, but they're not at all
common. There have been very few sightings of this species in Perth metro
area, however due to their similar apperance to the ravens they may go
undetected. Other bush birds of the course include: Brown Honeyeater, Red
Wattlebird, Western Spinebill, White-cheeked and New Holland Honeyeaters,
Rufous Whistler, Grey Fantail, Willie Wagtail, Western Gerygone, Spotted
and Striated Pardalotes, Silvereye, Australian Ringneck (in this are the
birds have a very strong 28-28 call, much sharper than the birds in the
southern and CBD suburbs), Mudlarks and maggies. Waterbirds and raptors
would also be present in the grounds, as well as the turtle-doves and
corrella & galahs.

Hope this give you a bit more background info!! And I'd beinterested in any
other confirmations on the Little Crow heard during the telecast?

Ta,

Claire
Please Respond to: