birding-aus

Collimation

To: Paul and Irene Osborn <>
Subject: Collimation
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:46:06 -0800 (PST)

G'day Paul,

How are you actually dropping them? perspiration from the hands? would it not be a case of ensuring the strap was worn and used at all times? did they come supplied with a strap? if not do what I have done and take them to your opticians, and ask for alternatives do be shown to you to stop this problem. A lot of larger eyeware optical suppliers will in fact help out. OPSM are one that I know of.

Option 5 ..... tell your Irene your dropping them regularily and this should provide you with more attention from Irene at least. It worked for me with Hilary.

Yours Sincerely John A. Gamblin

also known now as "Gandalf"

Paul and Irene Osborn <> wrote:

A few weeks ago I dropped my binoculars on soft ground (again). This threw them out of alignment. The company that used to collimate binoculars in Newcastle is no longer prepared to do it and suggests I send them to a firm in Sydney who charge $80. This morning I accidently dropped my spare pair and now they need collimating as well. I can no longer afford to keep getting my binoculars collimated and the inconvenience of sending them or taking them to Sydney is too great. Seems to me I have four options:

1) Fix them myself.

2) Find someone in the Newcastle area who will do them at a reasonable price.

3) Buy a new pair that are rugged enough to survive the odd bump or two.

4) Give up birding.

I would be interested to hear if any birding-aussers could help with advice on any of the first three options (option 4 I would have to manage on my own, although counselling might help).

Paul Osborn

Do you Yahoo!?