birding-aus

Cape York in the Wet

To: "Moorhead Family" <>, "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cape York in the Wet
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2003 17:50:19 +1000
Bill and Lloyd + adventurous birdos,

I grew up on western Cape York and while it is a very different place now as far as access is concerned it is still a place to exercise caution at all times of the year. still this should not stop the well prepared and adventurous from going.

What I resent is the damage done to roads by idiots who don't know how to drive in poor conditions or are on the roads when the would be better off in the pub telling lies. These people also lead others to put their lives at risk in attempting rescues.

My Mum says if she ever writes her memoirs of this time she will call it 'Rice in the Weevils' referring to the state of our food supplies at the end of the wet.

My choice would be 'April Christmas' as it would often take that long for the second class mail the arrive at home and then the Flying Doctor would deliver them to me in Charters Towers. This would often be after my birthday presents arrived by mail earlier in the month.

Apart from being important in my survival as a child, the RFDS helped maintain my spirits while away at boarding school with cocoanuts, watermelons and cakes from home.

One more request for remote travelers everywhere; take out your rubbish and if you are using disposable nappies do you really think you should be there!

Go and please come back.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours