birding-aus

Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Parrots !!!

To: "" <>
Subject: Fwd: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Parrots !!!
From: Margaret Cameron <>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 23:01:38 +1100
Sorry forgot to reply to all so Craig would never have seen this

Margaret

From: Margaret Cameron <>
Subject: Re: [BIRDING-AUS] Parrots !!!

Hi Michael and Craig

In Geelong (which is not all that far from Melbourne) my WA flowering gum is attracting the odd Rainbow Lorikeet and Purplecrowned lorikeet but the real winner is a Eucalyptus leucoxylon which flowers from Easter to September and attracts Rainbows, PCs, Musk lorikeets, r wattlebirds, new hollands, White plumed H/eaters; also at other times both Pardalotes, Gang Gangs (which eat the sawfly larvae with a disgusting wet munching noise), Crimson Rosellas, and nesting Lt Ravens and now Magpies. This is almost the complete native bird list for my garden. It also grew very fast to the attractive stage, an advantage from the point of view of the birds and the birdwatcher but the (then) SEC came and chopped the top off.

I am too far from other bush to get most of the birds Michael mentions - Spinebills also visit this tree but prefer other things like correas and exotics like fuchsias

Margaret