birding-aus

Cape York in the Wet

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Cape York in the Wet
From: "Moorhead Family" <>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:14:08 +1000
Hello all,

Just a couple of notes to LLoyd's word of warning on
travelling to the Cape in the Wet. I largely concur with
him but would be disappointed to see an unbalanced
view on the risks and pleasures of such a trip.

When we travelled recently ,we liased closely with locals
including Sheryl at Archer River Roadhouse and Portland
Roads.We also made prior contact with Skytrans (local
small airline) and also a timetable of the barge as an out
if necessary. We also had GPS,EPIRP and left ETA's with
people at either end of the legs.

My only reason for going was to see Iron Range in the wet.
I,ve been in the dry.
You need a vehicle at Portland Rds as the best birding is 20
mins away on a good road into the rain forest and also Chilli
Beach (which is spectacular).So you do it our way spending
a couple of weeks casually birding or pay thousands for a
shorter tour.The road to Lochart River (where the barge leaves
from) is open all year except after huge falls cutting off
Packers and Chilli Ck's temporarily.
So the only real risk is getting caught between rivers.
This is a very real risk if you don't barge in or out.
Use local current info to make that decision at the time .
But the trip to Archer is only an easy day's drive from
Portlands ,so talk to people who got through a few hours earlier.
I know what it is like when really rains up there and other
tropical places....we actually had 7 inches before lunch one day up
there!

Anyway I have lived and worked in northern WA and birded remoter
areas which I would classify as much more dangerous.

Cheers and I hope I haven't upset our northern birding gurus,
LLoyd and Klaus too much,

Bill