birding-aus

what owl is this please?

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: what owl is this please?
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 16:32:59 -0800 (PST)

G'day Katrina and Laura,

I agree with Tony Russell, they are in that area for one prime reason, they have seen their food in that area, feeding them could change their diet and dependence.

Not a wise thing if you really love them and they need more then just minced meat in their diet for a healthy life.

John A. Gamblin magpie mad person.

Katrina Vogt <> wrote:

We live at Flagstaff Hill in South Australia, which is about 15 k south of Adelaide, in open woodland, mainly stringybark and gray box, understory composed of acacia pycnantha, grasses, hardenbergia violacea, plus the usual feral weeds; olives mainly. Our climate is roughly Mediterranean. Soil is limestone marl over clay, gilgais. Gullies cut by seasonal creeks.

I have been reading 'What bird is that?' and the owl looks like a barn owl, but sounds like the sooty owl. Any positive id would be great. We are very curious about these lovely birds.

We would also like to know if they will take food from us, probably mince.

Katrina and Laura Vogt

Do you Yahoo!?