birding-aus

Allyn River Camp Barrington Tops

To: <>
Subject: Allyn River Camp Barrington Tops
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 19:11:42 +1100
Hi all

Just back from a very hot 24 hour camp at White Rock Camp near the Allyn River Forest Camp, about 8 kms from the Barrington Guest House which is about 40 kms North of Dungog. There was a nice swimming hole which was well used after each birding walk. The place was tent to tent city for the long weekend but none the less some good birds were seen. The best of all was a male Paradise Rifle Bird which we watched for ages as it preened , ate berries, and probed around under the bark with his long curved bill. Every now and them the sun would catch his iridescent colours, fabulous ! There were several fruiting Fig Trees, so Pigeons and Bowerbirds were plentiful. Only 44 species seen but some quality ones not seen unless you visit Rain Forest areas. List follows:

White-headed Pigeon
Brown Cuckoo-Dove
Emerald Dove
Wompoo Fruit-Dove
Topknot Pigeon
Australian King Parrot
Crimson Rosella
White-throated Needletail
Sacred Kingfisher
Noisy Pitta
Superb Lyrebird
Red-browed Treecreeper
Superb Fairy-wren
Spotted Pardalote
Yellow-throated Scrubwren
White-browed Scrubwren
Large-billed Scrubwren
Brown Gerygone
Brown Thornbill
Red Wattlebird
Lewin's Honeyeater
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Scarlet Honeyeater
Rose Robin
Eastern Yellow Robin
Eastern Whipbird
Golden Whistler
Rufous Whistler
Grey Shrike-thrush
Black-faced Monarch
Spectacled Monarch
Rufous Fantail
Grey Fantail
Pied Currawong
Paradise Riflebird
Australian Raven
Green Catbird
Regent Bowerbird
Satin Bowerbird
Red-browed Finch
Tree Martin  Picking ash out of the old fire remains and swooping low through the camp
Silvereye
Russet-tailed Thrush

A few others saw some extra species which I missed including:

Brush Turkey
Laughing Kookaburra
Sulphur-crested Cockatoo
Wonga Pigeon and no doubt Moore as I am home and they are still there for another day

How I missed the above 4 species I will never know! Didn't even hear them. Spotlighted unsuccessfully , only saw a few quick flying bats, no birds or mammals.

Hope everybody had a good long weekend. My spell check just wanted to change Wompoo to Wimp, hardly a wimpish bird at all I would have thought !

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

Dungog NSW