birding-aus

The Trials and Tribulations of Digital Bird Photography

To: knightl <>
Subject: The Trials and Tribulations of Digital Bird Photography
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 09:04:21 +1100

 I've been using a digital camera for about 6 months now and have had mixed success when it comes to bird photography.

I have a 7x lense, but my camera also has a high resolution setting of 2560x1960. By setting it to a large resolution, the photo can be cropped and used as a type of additional zoom. My camera also has a digital zoom, which automatically crops zoomed section of the photo to a lower resolution, thus saving a lot of space. Perfect for birding!

By far the biggest advantage of digital birding, is the ability to take many shots of a bird and at least get one good photo from the bunch. No more 'head in the feathers' shots, or out of focus shots caused by autofocusing on the branch in front of the bird.

And  I agree with Laurie; autofocus on a boat can be a really annoying process. But i guess the trick is again to take as many shots as possible and hope like hell you get one in focus.

Once the price of memory cards come down, digital cameras will be the perfect resource for birders, with most cameras coming with a movie mode and/or sound recording mode, so the call of a bird can be recorded, as well as the image.  Great for ID'ing of mystery birds, but never replacing the detail the human memory can record, so dont rely too much on the new technology. ; )

Good Birding!

Peter

knightl <>
Sent by: