birding-aus

Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria.

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Western Treatment Plant Werribee Victoria.
From: "Shirley Cameron" <>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 14:14:38 +1100

 I too would like to congratulate Sean Dooley and express my gratitude for the wonderful reports which kept me so entertained over 2002.   Thank you Sean!

As always the birding at the WTP  has been great over the past month.

We have taken a few overseas visitors around and all are astonished by the size of the Plant and the number of birds present.

Yesterday we took a visitor from U.K. in a 4-hour session we saw 77 species.

For those who know the Plant we were delighted to see a Singing Bushlark at the T Section Lagoons off Point Wilson Road.  It was a bird new to my Treatment Plant list.  That is my second addition to that list this year, the other being the Fork-tailed Swift.

Since the roadworks have been in progress on the bridge that crosses the Geelong-Melbourne Highway we have been returning to Werribee via Ryan’s Lagoon and South Road.  There has been much flood-irrigating going on in this area and yesterday we were delighted to see Cattle Egret in full breeding plumage.  There have been a couple of White-necked herons lurking around in the water too.

There were at least 84 Freckled Duck on Lake Borrie.   I would be interested to know if there are lots of Freckled Duck on Lake Lorne at Drysdale because it seems to me that when we cannot find them at Werribee there are reports of them at Lake Lorne and I wonder if the opposite is the case i.e. the Freckle Duck travel between Werribee and Lake Lorne?

Shirley Cameron

Werribee