birding-aus

grey or wandering tattlers

To: <>
Subject: grey or wandering tattlers
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 13:56:47 +0800
Being from the west, I haven't seen Wandering Tattlers very often.  But those I have seen at Hastings Point NSW, Sunshine Coast Qld, Norfolk Island and Lord Howe Island were quite obvious and left me in no doubt when I saw them.

1. They were darker above, but this is a relative thing.

2. They bob up and down like a Common Sandpiper, which I haven't seen Grey-tailed do.

3. They have always been on rocky shorelines, but Grey-tailed can be also.

4. The different supercilium is noticable if you look hard enough for it with good optics, but this is a very relative feature, and still left me with some doubt.

5. The call is distinctive, but you usually need to flush the birds to get them to call.  You should avoid flushing birds anyway, and after being flushed it is no longer there .... :-(