birding-aus

Re: RFI Origma; Wattle Forest list

Subject: Re: RFI Origma; Wattle Forest list
From: Chris Ross <>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 12:29:26 +1100
Thanks to all who replied with info on the Origma, we (Bill Benner with
Don McClintock, Don Parlee and Ron French from the US East Coast and
myself) tried Lady Carrington and Wattamola.  I suspect we heard one on
Lady Carrington and the wind was way too strong for any bird to show
itself at on the rocks at Wattamolla.  Our list for the day follows;

.......Wattle Forest:.........
White browed, yellow throated and large billed scrubwrens
Varigated and superb fairy wrens
Red browed finch (carrying nest material)
Scarlet, lewins, new holland yellow faced honeyeaters
Eastern Spinebill
Little wattlebird
Noisy Friarbird
Wonga Pigeon and Brown cuckoo dove
Grey Fantail, rufous fantail
Leaden flycatcher
Black faced monarch
Azure kingfisher
Kookaburra
Satin Bowerbird
Grey Shrike Thrush
Brown Thornbill
Brown Gerygone
Golden Whistler
Eastern Yellow Robin
Red Whiskered Bulbul
Pied Currawong
Grey butcherbird
Black duck,
Australasian Grebe,
Dusky Moorhen,
Little Pied Cormorant,
Great Cormorant,
Pacific black duck,
Wood duck,
Sulphur Crested Cockatoo,
Eastern whipbird (multiple good sighting out in the open, in trees etc)
Crimson Rosella,
Magpie,
Willie Wagtail,
Magpie Lark,
Olive backed Oriole, Black Faced Cuckoo shrike calls only.
..........Lady Carrington Drive:..........
Catbird (good views in a fruiting tree at eye level)
Grey butcherbird
Brown Thornbill, Brown Gerygone
Brown Cuckoo Dove
Grey fantail, (nesting, nest at 3m elevation beside track)
Lewin's HE
Kookaburra
around kiosk area added darter, eurasian coot, purple swamphen, silver
gull.
.........Wattamolla:.........
White bellied sea eagle
Black Shouldered Kite
Scarlet Honeyeater (around flowering mallees)
Little Wattlebird,
New Holland Honeyeater
Red Whiskered Bulbul,
Welcome Swallow
......Barren Grounds:........
Eastern bristlebird (very close up views near lodge)
grey fantail
Yellow tailed Black Cockatoo (~50 in large floock in distant trees on
Heathland south of lodge)
Noted some interesting behaviour with the bristlebird; a grey fantail
was trying to drink/bathe in a puddle on the path, each time it came in
the bristlebird would run out and chase it away.  We had excellent views
from close range of the bristlebird feeding in the low vegetation beside
the track, and scuttling back and forth across it.  Excellent days
birding with Bill, Don, Don and Ron, especially considering the weather
on Saturday.

regards,

Chris Ross