birding-aus

Swifts at Arthur's Seat, Vic.

To: "" <>
Subject: Swifts at Arthur's Seat, Vic.
From: Brian Fleming <>
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 2003 19:25:45 +1100
Sat. morning - at Merricks North (on the Mornington Peninsula) we had
Spinetail Swifts, or White-throated Needletails if you insist, whizzing
overhead at about 11.30 am. They were flying low enough to look quite
large, but not so low that one could pick up white markings with the
naked eye.
Later after lunch we saw more (or the same flock maybe) over the summit
of Arthus Seat, at 2 pm,  and as we negotiated the hairpins on the way
down. Great to see them again - nothing else has such wide wings and the
characteristic slight quiver of the wings as they pass close overhead.
Anthea Fleming