birding-aus

Re: 5 Pied Oyster Catchers

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Re: 5 Pied Oyster Catchers
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 21:32:14 +1100

This evening, I went for a stroll on the shoreline near the CSIRO in Geelong.

Upon approaching the water, I scared away three Oyster Catchers, which flew out to the rocks on a small point to join two other Oyster Catchers.

It was quite shocking to see 5 Oyster Catchers together in the one spot, particularly at that location, so close to the city.

As I continued around,  I was even more shocked at the number of Red necked Stints, Sharp Tailed Sandpipers and 3-4 (of what i think were) Marsh Sandpipers. Approx 250-300 birds where closely hudled together on the rocky point. With another 50 or so on the next smaller point along the shoreline.

Also around where 10-20 chestnut teals, black swans, masked lapwings, pied cormorants, a white faced heron and the always present silver gulls.

Peter