birding-aus

Fork-tailed Swifts in the Gulf of Carpentaria

To: "Messages Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Fork-tailed Swifts in the Gulf of Carpentaria
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 12:55:29 +1000
g''day all,

I have just been advised by Lyn Battle on Sweers Island (30km north of Burketown) that ..
"...I have been meaning to tell you we saw 200 Fork tailed swifts passiing through the first day of this "Low" pressure system (per the birdbooks - but early/late depending on which way they were heading (they seemed to be going north but we lost sight when they went up a thermal)

Also the previous day saw 10 parrots - I am positive they were parrots but I don't know which. Pink/red on throat/chest - the rest appeared gray/brown/green (the light was wrong) but long streaming tails and they sounded like Lorikeets.  ???? We kept an eye out but haven't seen them since....." (Any ideas anyone ? Bob F)

Regards,
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Queensland.