birding-aus

Great Crested Grebes, Tree-roos and strange butterfliy

To: <>, <>, "Terry Pacey" <>, "Peter Gillanders" <>, "Moni Carlisle" <>, <>, "Lloyd Perkins" <>, "Lloyd Nielsen" <>, "John Gillanders" <>, "Jo Wieneke" <>, "Ian Montgomery" <>, "Yoost Brouwer" <>, "Tony Rogers" <>, "Stephen Coleman" <>, "Richard Rowe" <>, "Clem Tisdell" <>, "Clevo Wilson" <>, "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Great Crested Grebes, Tree-roos and strange butterfliy
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 11:02:23 +1000
Hi All,

120+ GCG are currently on Lake Barrine on the beautiful Atherton Tableland.

Yesterday while checking out another possible Golden Bowerbird site I got out of the car, sniff, that smells like a tree-roo and there he was at about three metres and quite exposed. The camera was of course at home.

On my return the animal was still there but now hunched over with its nose on its toes as rain was falling. I moved under the animal to confirm my guess as to its sex, the male are more smelly, when a mixed flock of insect eaters surrounded me. Pale Yellow Robin, Little Shrike Thrush, Grey Fantail, one of the dark scrub wrens which I did not identify as my attention was taken by a Mountain Thornbill feeding at ground level. As it moved higher and closer not only did it come inside the focus range of my binoculars but that of my eyes. I pulled my head back fearing the bird was about to attack my beard.

Saw two fresh and one older Cassowary scats on this little walk as well.

Interrupted the third paragraph above to look at a strange butterfly that is still outside my window feeding on Pentus flowers. The under wing is that of a pale male Danaid Eggfly Hypolimnas missippus but the upper side is the unusual thing. The hind wings have the typical black edging with two rows of tiny white spots of the female but from there to the body the coluor quickly changes from light tan to cream which fades to a large whitish area in the hind wing inner half. Where the tan and cream join there was a row of blue dots like on the Blue-banded Eggfly H. alimena females but without the white centres. The off white colour extended onto the rear half of the forewing following the shape of the Danaid Eggfly. A hybrid? All three species of Hypolimnas occur in my garden.

Regards,
Alan