birding-aus

Sean Dooley, Australian of the Year

To: <>
Subject: Sean Dooley, Australian of the Year
From: "Ken Rogers" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 20:36:07 +1100
Hello Folks,

Each year, The Australian newspaper "appoints" a reader-voted Australian of the Year.  I've just put in my vote for Sean for his ridiculous and wonderful achievement.  More than my vote might be needed.  To add yours, there is a small form in The Australian each day in which you give your reasons.  The form can be snail-mailed of faxed.  This year's "winner" will be announced in the Weekend Australian of 18 January.  My rather fulsome offering is given below.

"He set himself the ridiculous goal of seeing 700+ bird species in the year.  He saw 703, an amazing 71 more than the previous record!  His internet postings informed an enthralled birding community of his progress, triumphs, and disasters.  Both aim and achievement were more than Bradmanesque."

So, no more vicarious twitching pleasure in 2003.  What'll I do?  I know.  Go birding.

Cheers,

Ken Rogers