birding-aus

Warriewood Wetland.

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Warriewood Wetland.
From: "Bruce Cox" <>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:59:19 +1100
Hi Everyone,

Wishing you all a happy and prosperous new year.

Warriewood Wetland on Sydney's Northern Beaches is still producing some nice
birds. Over the last two mornings I have seen: White and grey phase Grey
Goshawk, Latham's Snipe, Rock Warbler, Lewin's Rail, Cicadabird (possibly
nesting), Leaden Flycatcher (with young), White-throated Needletail Swifts,
Fork-tailed Swifts and another swift type birds I can't identify.
When compared with a White-throated these other swift type birds have
shorter, rounder wings which they hold further forward, their tails are
longer and appear lobed and, in the better light this morning, they have
white undertail coverts. The rest of the body appears dark. If anything they
are smaller than the White-throated although I did not see them together.
Their body profile looks like the Uniform and White-rumped Swiftlets
illustrated in Slater opposite page 198.

I have seen swifts at Warriewood Wetland on my last 3 visits commencing
30-12- 2002 so anyone contemplating a visit stands a pretty fair chance of
seeing them  particularly if they visit early in the morning. Tom Wilson
also recently reported a "mixed flock of swifts" at the wetland.

Any of you swift experts want to have a look?

Also keep your eye open for the Little Bittern Tom may have seen there.

Bruce.

Bruce Cox.
48 Rangers Retreat Rd. Frenchs Forest.
Sydney. 2086.  Australia.