birding-aus

Cassowary note

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Cassowary note
From: Phil Gregory <>
Date: Sat, 04 Jan 2003 20:51:37 +1000
Hi ausbirders,
The male Cassowary here at Cassowary House, Kuranda, far north Queensland finally reappeared on Nov 25 with 3 tiny stripey chicks. He'd been gone since mid-June 2002, and we feared he had met his end, but now suspect his first breeding attempt may have failed, hence the prolonged absence. They come most days now, except when Keith and Lindsay Fisher or Carol and Andrew Isles come to see them ( and yes Keith, they naturally showed up at 0600 next day!) Early morning and late afternoon are the favourite times, and the big female sometimes arrives as well, which makes the male very nervous, giving an odd quiet grunting call if she gets too close, which seems to be a sort of warning.
    2000 hours tonight Jan 4, I heard the querulous rising "peeeep" distress call of a Cassowary chick coming from the forest. This is unusual, over the past 4 years we have just one night-time record of the family group. I wonder if they were roosting in the thickets quite nearby, and a chick got separated? This call is usually very effective in bringing the male back, and it stopped after about 5 minutes, so I hope nothing sinister has occurred. We heard no dog or pig noises, so let's hope 3 chicks show up again tomorrow.
Any replies to us direct please, sicklebill @ austarnet.com.au
www. cassowary-house.com.au
Cheers
Phil Gregory