birding-aus

RFI Birds of Mallee Vic, SA

To: "'John Harris'" <>
Subject: RFI Birds of Mallee Vic, SA
From: "Wedderburn Family" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 18:28:08 +1100

Hi John

I was up at Mildura this past week and managed to see just over a 100 birds there. The first couple of days were very hot and humid. Mildura then had close to 70 mm of rain, with most of the dirt roads turning to mud and sludge – still a fair amount of water lying around. Not many birds before the rains or even after the rains in areas such as the Hattah-Kulkyne National Park and Wallpolla Island State Forest.

I found the best areas to be Kings Billabong (just outside Mildura), Lake Ranfurly (>600 Red-necked Avocet, >120 Banded Stilt & >80 Black-winged Stilt) and the Mildura-Wentworth Botanical Gardens.

Some of the birds seen on your list were;

  • Regent Parrot – Nangiloc – calling loudly from trees surrounding the sports field
  • White-fronted Honeyeater – Botanical Gardens – lots seen
  • Orange Chat – Lake Ranfurly – in salt bush

Didn’t see the other birds on your list, although not for lack of looking. Other interesting birds were over 150 Black-tailed Native-hen on the sports fields in Mildura just after the rains, lots of Chestnut-crowned Babblers at various places, Blue Bonnets close to Swan Hill and a pair of Striped Honeyeaters at Nangiloc.

Regards,

Bruce Wedderburn

Glen Waverley