birding-aus

A lone Fork-tailed Swift (Vic)

To: <>, <>
Subject: A lone Fork-tailed Swift (Vic)
From: "Paul Rose" <>
Date: Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:59:07 +1100
After logging on for the New Year following a trip down to Winchelsea
for three days, imagine my surprise to read of the sighting(s) of
individual Fork-tailed Swifts.  I too saw an individual bird on the 31st
December, a new bird for me and a very exciting moment upon realising it
wasn't a needletail, that I had seen about 100+ of along Forest Road on
a trip into Anglesea a few hours earlier. With the wind and weather
conditions over the New Year being "ideal" for looking to the sky, in
less than 5 minutes after setting up at the dam where the largest amount
of open sky was visible through the forest of Angahook, I added several
species to my friend's yard list ; it all started with some welcome
swallows and martins a mile high, followed by a low Brown Goshawk and
imm. Wedgie cruising through, somewhat reminiscent of raptors on
migration at the cliffs of Beamer Conservation area near Hamilton,
Ontario, canada, one of my old stomping grounds before emigrating to
Australia.  Anyway, I digress.  Before I knew it I was looking at a low
flying individual Fork-tailed Swift, my first.
Other interesting sightings for my stay included a Leaden Flycatcher on
the property and 40+ Blue-winged Parots along Forest Road to Anglesea.

That's my two cents, happy New Year to all.

Cheers,

P.

Paul Rose
Year 9 Purple Team
Department of Biology and Chemistry
Wesley College - Glen Waverley
620 High Street Road
Glen Waverley  3150
(03) 9881 5426

>>> "lyell" <> 01/02/03 20:23 PM >>>
Hi Laurie,
     Thanks for your interesting observation.  Other than the large
tree, I
was standing in a  cleared area, so had an excellent view of the cloud
covered sky.   The cloud was quite low, so you could be correct in
suggesting that other Swifts may have been higher. I was birding in the
area
for about 15 minutes and was certainly on the lookout for other Swifts.
Maybe the loner was sent down to verify that they were still on course,
who
knows!
All the best and happy birding.
Marlene