birding-aus

2002 retrospective

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: 2002 retrospective
From: "Stuart Cooney" <>
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 2003 11:42:08 +1100
Hi Birders,

No-one has had a reflection about 2002 yet (or at least I missed it if they did).  perhaps because it pales into insignificance compared to the Dooley exploits (bravo old chap, I knew you'd make it).

For me 2002 saw me get 274 species for the year, my best in 5 years of birding to date and possibly a target that will take some beating now that I am a stay at home dad without a company car to visit Bairnsdale or Portland in!  This number included 41 new species largely thanks to a trip to Queensland via SA and outback NSW.  41 newies was the best for a few years as well.  Best among them were the Red-necked Phalarope, Brahminy Kite, Glossy Black Cocky. Regent Bowerbird (I guess, but they were practically domestic birds) and Wompoo Fruit-dove.  Also the inclusion finally of Nightjars, with White-throated on Dool's twitch in January at Gembrook Vic, and Spotted at Gluepot, were I nearly ran him over at 6 in the evening.  Disappointments include dipping on Maleefowl at Gluepot and not seeing an Osprey despite driving from Brisbane to Melbourne via the coast.

2003 will start with a trip to Brissy and two weeks at O'reilly's with a possibility of a month at Uluru in June at 10 days at Gypsy Point, so it could be another good birding year.  First bird for the new year was not an Owl after midnight, but a pair of Rainbow Lorikeets at our new house in Frankston Vic, not something we got at Berwick.

I hope everyone has a great new year and lots of great birding experiences.

Stuart