birding-aus

Tern ID days, Caloundra SEQld

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Tern ID days, Caloundra SEQld
From: jilldening <>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 17:22:55 +1000
Hello Everyone,

I have just resubscribed after a few months break from the list. Happy New
Year everyone.

I am planning to hold a series of TERN IDENTIFICATION DAYS on the Caloundra
sandbanks for interested birders. The purpose of the sessions is to help
birders lift their tern ID skills. It is unlikely that you would get an
opportunity to tick a rare species, it is really a field workshop, similar
to the wader identification days held regularly by the Qld Wader Study
Group.

I will arrange the days according to the level of response. Interested
people can come just once, or repeatedly if they feel they want to learn
more. The first day will be an experiment.

I have booked a boat for two Saturday mornings in January  (8am - 12 noon)
at this stage:
Saturday 11th January
Saturday 25th January.

The species which we see regularly are as follows:
Little Tern
Common Tern
White-winged Black Tern
Crested Tern
Caspian Tern
Gull-billed Tern
(The tide will be lowish on both January days, and Gull-bills tend not to be
seen then.)

We will have a driver who can ferry people to and from the sandbanks when
desired, the trip being 5 - 10 minutes one way.

Would people please get back to me to show interest, and for further detail?

Cheers,

Jill
--
Jill Dening