birding-aus

Relayed: From S. & S. Geneaux

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Relayed: From S. & S. Geneaux
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 19:24:09 -0800 (PST)

JAG NOT going back into hospital until mid January yippeee.

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 15:29:36 -0600
From: "Sid and Sharon Genaux" <>
To: John Gamblin <>
Subject: a Hum-dinger of a morning

Hi John and All,

Sorry to hear that you were in hospital for Christmas. We hope you are feeling much better now.

We had to write you to tell you what a fantastic morning we had today. Sharon met a nice guy at the local Wild Bird Center (a store that sells feeders, seed, and other birding paraphenalia) on Christmas Eve.

John invited us to visit his home. His wife has a lot of hummingbirds who come to her feeders. We took him up on his offer this morning. John and Margaret's place is wonderful. They have a huge back yard with lots of flowers, trees, and plants and a couple of small ponds and fountains. It is wonderful bird habitat and it is filled with both hummingbird and other bird feeders. They have about 50 feeders in their yard of all types. When John knew we were going to come to see the hummingbirds this morning, he called Nancy Newfield, the premier hummingbird bander in the country. She was there banding this morning. She caught 6 or 7 birds, two of which were new captures who had never been banded. We got to watch her band these tiny creatures. The bands are so small that she has to look through a jeweller's magnifier to see the numbers and to put them on the birds' legs. She let Sid and I release several of the hummers. We held them on the palm of our hands for a few seconds and then they took off. What a wonderful experience! To top it off, three of the species of hummingbirds in the yard were new life birds for Sharon's list. Finally, her North America list has caught up with her Australia list--474 species on each.

Well, it's time to get off the library computer. Give our regards to Eggy, Lee, and all our BA friends.

Hugs,
Sid and Sharon

Sid and Sharon Genaux the Gray Nomads

Do you Yahoo!?