birding-aus

Christmas birding near Samsonvale, SE Queensland

To: birding-aus <>
Subject: Christmas birding near Samsonvale, SE Queensland
From: Tom Tarrant <>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:42:52 +1000
Christmas day and we were up at 5.30am. However when I got up in the night I heard White-throated Nightjar, Owlet Nightjar, & Tawny Frogmouth. We first stopped down Postman's Track and saw an "hepatic" Oriental Cuckoo. This was one of the seven species of cuckoo we saw in the day. We walked down to the Kobble Creek BBQ area and saw 5 Australian Painted Snipe. We returned to "Sittella" on Watson Rd and digiscoped every bird in the garden. After a long lunch we set off for the second birding session. At Lees Crossing we saw White-eared Monarchs and Rose-crowned Fruit-doves and headed up to Neurum Creek in Mount Mee State Forest. We arrived at the "right" spot we thought look for Sooty Owl and Tom said it had started to rain. He was at this stage standing on the passenger seat thru the roof of our vehicle with the spotlight ready. Well rain it did in buckets and we were lucky to get out of the forest. We only stopped for a Litoria chloris (Southern Orange eyed Treefrog) We still managed 112 species.

Boxing day we slept in until 6am and stopped at Lees Crossing to find the Platypus Edwin Vella found when he stayed at Tom & Marie's. After brunch we went to Mount Glorious and in the rainforeast down Browns Road we saw lots of Regent Bowerbirds, Rose-crowned Fruit-doves, Wompoo and White-headed Pigeons, and a birding highlight of my life. We had heard Paradise Riflebird several times and seen a female a few times but we found a male on its singing post and it did the full wing display and I saw it all through my telescope. I have to say it was truly amazing and the colours of the bird's throat, which looked blue not green as mentioned in Pizzey & Knight, shimmered in the sunlight. I have seen the TV footage of this wing display but it is nothing compared to seeing the real thing. We went home very happy.

Alll the best and good birding everyone

Trevor Quested
a guest of Tom & Marie

Tom & Marie Tarrant