birding-aus

colourful king parrots

To: "jade welch" <>
Subject: colourful king parrots
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2002 09:45:08 +1000
Jade,

I have seen photos of a male King Parrot which were taken in the hills north west of Brisbane where all the red was replaced by yellow.

Yesterday, 25/12, I was walking around Atherton when I glimpsed a Rosella with a red head. My interest was raised so I tracked it down. There were a few yellow feathers on the crown. The red was more like that of the Eastern Rosella than the Crimson which we do get in the area. When another Pale-headed flew up to it I was able to make a comparison. The red head was more intensely coloured on the blue of the lower cheeks and this blue met under its bill. Likewise the vent and wing colours were very bright but both birds had very pale bellies, almost white.

Once at Lake Eacham I saw a Wompoo Pigeon which was a metallic blue on the wings and back. It was not a trick of the light as I was able to move around and view it from directly underneath and the other side. When a car drove past and all the flock flew it was easy to pick this individual and follow its return. If my memory serves me correctly about other details it had a pale vent but a strongly coloured head, neither out of the normal range.

Hope Santa was kind to you,
Alan