birding-aus

Some interesting sightings in Perth

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Some interesting sightings in Perth
From: Dr Richard Nowotny <>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 19:41:22 +1100
Locals and perhaps holiday visitors from interstate may be interested in the following sightings from walks around old haunts this morning (Mon 23 Dec - a humid very high-30's scorcher).

Herdsmans Lake (southern side):

Freckled Duck (60+)  They are best seen from near the car-park at the eastern end of Lakeside Rd ("Maurice Hamer Park").  Most are within 10 metres of the lake edge, providing exceptional, close views.  (I understand that they have been at the lake for a couple of months now, perhaps not in these numbers, but I cannot recall any posting on Birding-Aus.)

Black-tailed Native-Hen (3)  In the same area as the Freckled Duck.

Buff-banded Rail (1)  On a path near the visitor centre.

[As usual, most of the local ducks are to be found on this stretch of water - Hardhead, Shoveller, Grey Teal, Black Duck, Blue-bill, Shelduck, Musk Duck, and for the first time in my experience Freckled.  Plus all three grebes.]

Perry Lakes:

Banded Stilt (2)  On the south-eastern lake (remnant).  [Plus 1 Pink-eared Duck]

Buff-banded Rail (1)  In the reeds at the western end of the north-western "lake" (mini-remnant).

RICHARD NOWOTNY
8 Pier St   Port Melbourne
VIC  AUSTRALIA  3207
(H)  61-3-9645.6870