birding-aus

Unknown Birdie

Subject: Unknown Birdie
From: Chris Shaw <>(by way of Hugo Phillipps <>)
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 15:17:40 +1100
Hi everybody -

I am forwarding the enquiry below from one of our members in case someone
can advise him.  He is presumably not subscribed to Birding-Aus.

Cheers,
Hugo
---------------------

I have seen a bird that I can't identify according to the 5th edition of
Simpson and Day which is my reference.

Could you please let me know who would be the best person to contact about it.

I will give you a brief summary if you have time to read it or maybe pass
it on.

I am on a small island (Troughton Is.) which is off the northern tip of the
Kimberley's in WA. The island is 1,000 metres by 500 meters, rises to an
incredible 20 ft. above sea level at it's peak, is virtually treeless
(ignoring the mangroves) and is surrounded by a large coral reef that
doubles the island's size at low tide.

The bird I saw looked like a large peregrine falcon, dark head but not a
distinctive cap, prominent buff collared crescents behind the eyes, white
belly, brown vertically streaked breast, long yellow legs. Grey wings on
top similar to head colour. Seen at 7pm sitting on a small rock, flew off
at low level and perched on rocks on the exposed reef. Flew with slight
anhedral wings when gliding.

Maybe a Eastern Marsh (Papuan) Harrier.

Beats me.
Been bird watching for about 20 years.