birding-aus

2 Black-headed Gulls in Darwin

Subject: 2 Black-headed Gulls in Darwin
From: "Niven" <>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:24:48 +0930
Hi again
James Watson and I followed up our Black-headed Gull sighting
yesterday evening by chasing around Darwin harbour looking for
the bird(s) this morning. We finally located 2 birds in similar
plumage (ie both first-year), though one had a little more brown in
its plumage than the other. We managed to get quite a few photos,
which are now being developed and will post them on the web if
they're any good. Unfortunately we don't have flash digiscoping
gear (nor indeed anything more than 300mm lenses) and we were
using print film, so no great quality is expected.
By the looks of things these birds will be far more twitchable than
the 1998 gull, so anyone with lots of frequent flyer points and a few
spare days after Christmas could be in with a good chance.

Happy Birding and Merry Christmas
Niven