birding-aus

RFI Beachwashed Petrel/Shearwater ID

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: RFI Beachwashed Petrel/Shearwater ID
From: Laurie&Leanne Knight <>
Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 12:37:38 +1000
While poking about the estuary of Waychinicup Ck [east of Albany ~ 34S, 118E] I
came across a deceased pelagic bird that doesn't match the reference material I
could turn up.  While I didn't think to do the logical thing and cart it into
the CALM office in Albany, I did take the following notes.

The bird was about 35 cm long, had a black head, black back, black wings, black
feet, bulky [3 cm long, 1.5 cm deep and a 'modular' tip on its upper mandible]
black bill and a PALE underbody.

The bird person at the CALM office thought it might be a great-winged petrel
[they breed on nearby Bald Island].  However, the field guides didn't mention
foot colour or immature colouring [I believe GWPs are supposed to have dark
underbodies].

I managed to find the GWP in the HANZAB at the Eyre Bird Observatory, and while
it mentioned that GWPs have black feet, there was no indication of pale
underbodies.

Do any of the pelagic gurus on this list know what the underbody colour of
immature GWPs is or have an alternative idea as to what the bird may have been?

Many thanks, Laurie.