birding-aus

Lake Tingalpa

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Lake Tingalpa
From: Craig Doolan <>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 09:08:58 +1000
I spent an hour or so yesterday afternoon on the shores of Lake Tingalpa, in
the southern suburbs of Brisbane.  As expected the water level is quite low
with many of the water lilies (and the Salvinia) high and dry.  It has,
however, opened up a lot of muddy areas for birds to feed.  Much of the
shallower water areas are choked with lilies, hence the good numbers of
Jacanas but I didn't see any Pygmy-geese that I thought might be there.

Interesting species seen were 6 Red-kneed Dotterel, a species I personally
haven't see in ages, good numbers of Sharp-tailed Sandpipers and the
aforementioned Jacana's.  There was a single Glossy Ibis, the first I've
seen in the area and a group of about 10 Wandering Whistling-duck.

While walking through some sparse knee-high grass on the lake edge I also
flushed about 50-60 Latham's Snipe.  It seems a common experience with this
bird that after I flush a couple I stop and have a careful look to see if I
can see any more on the ground.  After a few minutes, and absolutely certain
there can't possibly be any more, I take a few steps froward and flush
another half dozen 3 metres in front of me.  After repeating this procedure
several times I gave up trying to get a look at an individual on the ground
and kept walking.  Full species list below with approximate numbers.

Craig Doolan

Conservation Extension Officer
Community Bushcare
Environmental Education