birding-aus

Seeking data on swallow wing morphology

Subject: Seeking data on swallow wing morphology
From: Piotr Matyjasiak <>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 17:50:00 -0800
Dear All,

I am studying the relationships between flight morphology and flight performance in swallows, and detailed data on wing morphology are necessary for comparative analyses that will form the basis for my aerodynamic experiments. Now I am seeking for data on wing morphology for the White-backed Swallow, Cheramoeca leucosternus.

The wing morphology is best measured in the field (e.g. during bird ringing) by drawing an outline around an outstretched bird's wing (preferably right wing) onto a copy or printer paper. Wing-outlines for 5-10 adult males and 5-10 adult females from each swallow species should be enough. If you can collect such wing-outlines for me or can recommend a person who might help me with collecting them, please respond to this list or e-mail me at: I will, of course, credit persons who provide wing drawings that I use in the publications. These wing-outlines may be send to my (first) postal address that is attached bellow.

Many thanks.

Happy birding, merry Christmas and happy New Year,

Piotr Matyjasiak

***********************************
Piotr Matyjasiak

Laboratoire Parasitologie Evolutive