birding-aus

Re: Grey Butcherbird

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Re: Grey Butcherbird
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:45:50 +1100

Hi all,

I recently saw my first grey butcher bird in the Flinders Ranges, and my first impression was that it was a kingfisher of some kind.

Everything about it from the shape of its bill, to the way it sat,  and the happy gleam in its eye told me that it was a kingfisher, until i got it ID'd.

Does anyone know if the Grey Butcherbird has any close genetic relationship with any of the Kingfisher family?

Regards,

Peter