birding-aus

Subspecies??

To: <>, <>
Subject: Subspecies??
From: "Lawrie Conole" <>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:36:05 +1100
>  To me
>subspecies is very helpful although I hate the name. It
>indicates which organisms are very closely related, such that
>speciation may well still be in the happening. For instance
>isnt it better to recognise that two variants are subspecies,
>than to call them species which sees the dame degree of
>separation as two well split members of the same genera and
>hence is misleading. To me if there are no subspecies then
>there is no such phenomenon as speciation.  Am I right or am I
>ranting? :-)

Mark

Take a look at:

Schodde, R. & Mason, I.J. (1999).  "The Directory of Australian Birds:
Passerines." (CSIRO Publishing: Collingwood).

for a discussion of the ultrataxon concept of identifying subspecific
units.  Phylogenetic taxonomy doesn't necessarily eliminate the
subspecific unit! ... and a pure phylogentic species concept is unlikely
to be adopted nationally at least in the near future - "hybrid" species
concepts abound!!!

I understand the upcoming new Australian checklist WILL include
subspecies/ultrataxa for the first time.  Stay tuned.

L.

=================================
Lawrie Conole
Senior Ecologist

Ecology Australia Pty. Ltd.
Flora and Fauna Consultants
88B Station Street
FAIRFIELD VIC 3078 Australia
E-mail:
Internet: http://www.ecologyaustralia.com.au/
Ph: (03) 9489 4191; Mob: (0419) 588 993
Fax: (03) 9481 7679
ABN 83 006 757 142

NOTE: This message may contain privileged and/or confidential
information intended for addressees only.  Please do not copy or forward
without permission.