birding-aus

White-headed Pigeons In Victoria

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: White-headed Pigeons In Victoria
From: Craig Doolan <>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 16:16:11 +1000
>From my time in Gippsland it is my understanding that White-headed Pigeons
are regular, if rare, migrants to eastern Victoria, being recorded most
seasons (all?) in far eastern areas such as Gypsy Point.  The lack of
official records is probably due to most people not realising that there is
a lack of official records, so not bothering to put one in or not knowing
what processes to go through.

I think the White-headed Pigeon is the most common of the east coast pigeons
that stray into Victoria (as opposed to fruit-doves, Brown Cuckoo-dove,
Topknot Pigeon), although I've little doubt numbers fluctuate from year to
year, I know Topknots have been found in large flocks in some years.

Craig Doolan

Conservation Extension Officer
Community Bushcare
Environmental Education