birding-aus

Baillons Crake in Albert Park Lake.

Subject: Baillons Crake in Albert Park Lake.
From: "Alex Farias" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:24:21 +1100
G'day,

Looks like it will be the Baillons Crake's Summer in Melbourne.

I saw the famous Baillons Crake of the West Gate Park not long ago, than I saw up to 4 in the Carrum Eastern Treatment Plant and also 2 more at the bird Hide in Edithvale Last week.

And yesterday I found a Baillons Crake in Albert Park Lake.

Very good indeed as I'm compiling a Birdlist for this park.

The bird was seen by my self and other birder at 6:15 PM in one of the "Pollution control grassy Pounds" in front of the island in the Golf course Side of the park (exactly location given on request).

Also in the same spot I have good views of a Water-Rat just a few metres from the Crake, also a Hobby and a Little grassbird. Not bad for an artificial lake surrounded by introduced trees in the middle of the city.
Reegards
Alex